Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.



In observance of the Juneteenth holiday, DLCP will be closed on Wednesday, June 19, 2024. Please see our list of online resources should you need immediate assistance. We will resume normal operations on Thursday, June 20, 2024.

Temporary Fireworks Stand Permits Available Until June 28. Click here to apply and learn more.

Vending Licensing FAQs

What is the difference between a “Public Space Permit” and a “Vending Business License?”
A Vending Business License is a basic business license with a vending endorsement issued by the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP).
A Public Space Permit is a permit issued by the Director of the Department of allowing for vending from the public space at a specified Vending Location. 
Are street vendors allowed to vend at multiple locations?
Yes, the holder of a Vending Business License may be assigned to up to three (3) sidewalk vending locations.
What is Mobile Roadway Vending?
The sale of goods and/or services from a portion of a street or highway ordinarily used for vehicular parking.
What is Street Vending?
The sale of goods and/or services exclusively from public space and for immediate delivery upon purchase.
As a holder of Vending Business License, must I be present at my vending unit during its hours of operation?
If your employee holds a valid Vendor Employee Identification Badge to operate your vending unit, you are not required to be present. 
How much does it cost to obtain a Vending Business License?
• Class A Vendor - $476.30 
• Class B Vendor - $408.10
• Class C Vendor - $433.00
• Class D Vendor - $337.00
• Mobile Site Permit - $600.00
• Sidewalk Site Permit - $1200.00
How do I make sure that I am contacted when Vending Public Space Permits become available?
To ensure you are contacted about vending location availability, be sure to provide a current and valid email address at the time of application.
What will happen if I vend without a Vending Business License and/or Public Space Permit?
Operating a vending business without a Vending Business License and/or Public Space Permit is illegal, and you may be subjected to fines and penalties. The DLCP Vending Enforcement Team monitors vending activity and respond to reports of illegal vending seven days a week.
Is there a restriction of the types of foods I can sell?
The District welcomes the sale of common and unique cuisines. However, all preparations must comply with all DC Health regulations.
Do I need to get a Food Handler’s Certificate?
All holders of a Vending Business License (Class A) and their employees must maintain a current and valid Certified Food Manager card. 
Can I prepare/cook the food I will sell in my kitchen at home?
No, food you sell may be prepared/cooked only from a commercial kitchen.
Can I prepare/cook food in someone else’s commercial kitchen?
What are the size requirements for food carts?
• Four feet six inches (4 ft. 6 in.) in width, unless the vendor vends food from the vending cart, in which case the vending cart shall not exceed five feet (5 ft.) in width
• Seven feet (7 ft.) in length, unless the vendor vends food from the vending cart, in which case the cart shall not exceed eight feet (8 ft.) in length
• Eight feet six inches (8 ft. 6 in.) in height, measured from the bottom of the tire.
• Vending carts shall be covered by an umbrella, which shall not exceed nine feet (9 ft.) in diameter nor extend more than four- and one-half feet (4.5 ft.) in any direction from the body of the cart.
What is the design standard for a Mobile Food Truck?
Without DLCP approval, a vending vehicle shall not exceed: 
• Eighteen feet six inches (18 ft. 6 in.) in length
• Eight feet (8 ft.) in width
• Ten feet six inches (10 ft. 6 in) in height, measured from bottom of the tire. 
Is there anything I can do while I am waiting for Vending Public Space Permits to become available?
YES! Many vendors waiting for Public Space Permits to become available have already started vending at special events, flea markets, holiday markets, and farmers markets. 
How do I report a poor experience with a vendor?
You may submit a Consumer Protection Complaint Request to the DLCP’s Enforcement Team.
How can I tell if a person is a legal or illegal vendor?
All vendors are required have and conspicuously post their current and valid Vending Business License.