Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.



In observance of the Juneteenth holiday, DLCP will be closed on Wednesday, June 19, 2024. Please see our list of online resources should you need immediate assistance. We will resume normal operations on Thursday, June 20, 2024.

Temporary Fireworks Stand Permits Available Until June 28. Click here to apply and learn more.

Vending Unit

Welcome to the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP) Business and Professional Licensing Administration Vending Unit.  The Vending Unit is comprised of both Vending Licensing and Vending Licensing Enforcement. Below, you are provided with the resources and tools to apply for a license to vend on public space within the District of Columbia, as well as the resources to file a vending related complaint regarding licensing compliance and illegal vending.


DLCP Announces the Street Vending Amnesty Program

Starting October 1, 2023, DLCP will administer the Street Vending Amnesty Program (the “Amnesty Program”) pursuant to D.C. Act 25-94. The Amnesty Program will be available to applicants for 5 years. The purpose of the Amnesty Program is to allow street vendors with certain debt to qualify to obtain a Vending License. Additionally, a street vendor who qualifies for the Amnesty Program will also be eligible to have this unpaid debt forgiven. 

A Vending Business License is required for goods and services sold exclusively from a public space and that are for the immediate delivery to the customer upon purchase (e.g. food trucks, hot dog carts, sidewalk merchandise vendors, ice cream trucks).

License Categories

Class A

Authorizes a person to vend food, other than food prohibited from public or private space. All employees are also required to obtain a Vending Employee Identification Badge.

Class B

Authorizes a person to vend merchandise, other than merchandise prohibited from public space. For vending purposes, the term “merchandise” shall include non-hazardous and non-controlled cut flowers, dried flowers and potted plants. All employees are also required to obtain a Vending Employee Identification Badge.

Class C

Authorizes a person to manage public markets on public or private space for the sale of agricultural goods and other farm products, or other food as designated by DC Department of Health (DC Health) Director, and other non-food merchandise or services as designated by the DLCP Director.

Class D

Authorizes a person to vend services (e.g., street photography, sale of tickets) from public spaces. All employees are also required to obtain a Vending Employee Identification Badge.

Apply for a New Vending License

Apply for a Class A, B, C or D Vending License

Please read our Vending Steps to Licensing guide (PDF version). It will help you navigate the application process to obtain a Class A, B, C or D Vending Business License. Also available en Español, Pasos Para Obtener una Licencia de Venta. If you have questions, you can contact the Vending Team at [email protected].

To submit an application please visit the DC Business Licensing Portal. Select "Start" from the "Choose goal" drop-down menu, then select "Street Vending Business" from the "choose type of business" drop-down menu.  The portal will generate a checklist with all the information you need to submit for your application.  

Vending Business Applications

Please submit all applications to [email protected]

Renew a Vending License

To renew your vending business license, please submit the Vending Business License Renewal Application no later than 45 days before the expiration of your license.

Vending Site Permits

Mobile Site Permit: Mobile Vendors ONLY (Class A, B, or D)
All Vending Business Licensees who operate Mobile Vending Vehicles are required to obtain a Mobile Site Permit. Each Mobile Site Permit authorizes a specific Mobile Vending Vehicle to operate in accordance with Title 24 of DC Municipal Regulation Chapter 5§ 534-535. A valid vehicle registration must be provided for each Mobile Vending Vehicle. If the vendor is not the owner of the Mobile Vending Vehicle, the vendor must provide a Letter of Authorization from the owner of the vehicle. The fee for a 2-year Mobile Site Permit is $300.00 per vehicle. This fee will be pro-rated to be concurrent with the Vending Business License period.


Sidewalk Site Permit: Sidewalk Vendors ONLY (Class A, B, or D)
All Vending Business Licensees who operate from sidewalk locations are required to obtain a Sidewalk Site Permit. Each Sidewalk Site Permit authorizes a Vending Business Licensee to vend from one specific sidewalk location. Sidewalk locations must meet the requirements of Title 24 of DC Municipal Regulation Chapter 5 § 525. Each Sidewalk location application will be reviewed and approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), and applicants will be notified by phone or e-mail of approval of sidewalk locations. The fee for a 2-year Sidewalk Site Permit is $150.00 per vehicle. This fee will be pro-rated to be concurrent with the Vending Business License period. 

Licensing Fees

License Duration: 2 Years
License Fee:

  • Class A: $99.00
  • Class B: $99.00
  • Class C: $99.00
  • Class D: $99.00
  • Employee Badge: $55.00

Site Permit Fee:  

  • Mobile: $300.00
  • Sidewalk: $150.00

Cancel a Vending License

If you are no longer conducting the business activity for which your Vending License was issued, you are required to formally notify the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP) by submitting a Vending License Cancellation request. Failure to cancel your license may result in the accrual of late fees, penalty fees, and other applicable taxes on your business.  


Mobile Roadway

A vendor must have an approved site permit in order to enter the monthly lottery.  The monthly lottery authorizes the vendor to vend in additional locations on specified dates. It costs $25 each month to enter the lottery. If you win a lottery location, there is an additional $150 fee. Lottery results are published on a monthly basis.

Stationary Roadway

Authorizes a Class A or Class B licensee to vend from a stationary vehicle at an approved stationary roadway location(s) assigned to them by monthly lottery around the National Mall.  There is no fee to enter the monthly lottery, but you must request a passcode from the agency.  If you win a lottery location, there is a fee of $65/day up to a maximum of $450 as a total fee.

Request to Trade Vending Lottery Spaces

If you and another licensed vendor wish to trade lottery spaces, you may initiate a Request to Trade Vending Lottery Spaces.

Request a Refund / File a Complaint

If you feel you are due a refund due to excess, duplicate, or erroneous payment, submit the online Refund Request.  You must submit all of the required documentation in order to process your claim.

If you observe a vendor operating beyond the scope of its license or without a license, you may Submit a Vending Complaint.

Agency Contact  
Phone: (202) 671-4500
Email: [email protected]

Contact TTY: