Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.



OCTO is aware of the global issue with CrowdStrike’s update impacting Windows servers and computers. CrowdStrike has identified the issue and a fix. We are supporting District agencies to ensure operations continue. At this time, District operations are not experiencing major impacts.

Register a Domestic For-Profit and Benefit For-Profit Corporation

For-Profit Corporation (S or C Corporation designation as determined by IRS) is organized with the intent of making a profit and required to issue stock shares. Management and control is exercised through shareholders, directors and officers who have very little limited personal liability. The board sets policy and controls the president. Officers conduct day-to-day operations.

For tax purposes, this type of corporation must meet certain IRS rules depending on the tax designation.

For C Corporations, partners are being taxed on profits personally based on ownership percentages while shareholders are being taxed on dividends. Earnings for C Corporations are "double-taxed" - the corporation is taxed and shareholders get dividends that may also be taxed. S Corporation is the most complex business structure and subject to stricter government control.

Domestic Benefit For-Profit Corporation is a type of for-profit corporation that will engage in providing general public benefit which means a material positive impact on society and the environment, taken as a whole, assessed against a third-party standard, from the business and operations of a benefit corporation.

To register domestic business corporations in the District, customers must deliver articles of incorporation form DBU-1 to the superintendent for filing. Either by web or mail/walk-in.

Note: Walk-in Customers will be charged an expedited fee for one-day service in the amount of $100, in addition to regular filing fees.

Online Filing

Go to CorpOnline, create a profile, access the online services main page (use Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and proceed. Online filers must pay by credit card. Once the filing is submitted, print the last confirmation page for your records.

Reporting Requirement

Every domestic and foreign corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership, General and Limited Cooperative Association, Business Trust is required to file two-year reports with Corporations Division to maintain good standing within the District of Columbia.

  • First reports are due April 1st of the very next year from the year of registration.  
  • Foreign entities might be liable for back reports if commenced business prior to registration.
  • Subsequent reports are due April 1st every two years thereafter.

Looking for documents for the following services for your business:

  • Create Your Business in DC
  • Changes to Your Business in DC
  • Reinstate Your Business in DC
  • Ongoing Obligations in DC
  • Close Your Business in DC

Follow the link below to view and download documents for the above services:

Find a Form or Document



Related Content: 

Fees for Corporate Registration Services

Corporate Registration FAQs

Contact TTY: