Limited Liability Company (LLC) is an unincorporated association, with one or more members, domestic or foreign. Owners risk only their investment and personal assets not at risk. Owners manage and control business that can be run by one person. LLCs are more complicated than partnership while it is easier to set up and maintain than corporation. LLCs are being taxed on earnings and owners can be taxed on business income.
A limited liability company may have any lawful purpose, regardless of whether for profit
To register domestic limited liability company in the District, customer shall deliver articles of organization form DLC-1 to the Superintendent for filing either by web or by mail / walk-in.
NOTE: Walk-in Customers will be charged expedited fee for one day service in the amount of $100 in addition to regular filing fees.
Go to CorpOnline, create a profile, access the online services main page (use Internet Explorer 8, Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and proceed. Online filers must pay by credit card. Once filing is submitted, print the last confirmation page for your records.
Every domestic and foreign corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Partnership, General and Limited Cooperative Association, Business Trust is required to file two-year reports with Corporations Division to maintain good standing within the District of Columbia.
- First reports are due April 1st of the very next year from the year of registration.
- Foreign entities might be liable for back reports if commenced business prior to registration.
- Subsequent reports are due April 1st every two years thereafter.
Find documents and forms for the following business services:
- Create Your Business in DC
- Changes to Your Business in DC
- Reinstate Your Business in DC
- Ongoing Obligations in DC
- Close Your Business in DC